The South African government has been restrictive about many things essentially in 2020, but the country had it when the alcohol ban was announced again for the third time in December last year.
The South African Brewery (SAB) is one of the frustrated companies by the alcohol ban decision which the government has taken, as a result, the company has decided to take up the government to a court in the Western Cape. SAB which merged with AB InBev, the world’s largest brewer back in 2016- is said to be very much agitated by this third ban and claims that the government is now infringing on people’s rights and must face the law. Not only has this third ban affected a major part of the company’s investment plans but also its chance to recreate the 60,000 jobs which were lost during the past two past bans in 2020.
SAB, which produces a large portion of Mzansi’s beer said its decision to approach the courts had been a difficult one but they consider this third ban an unnecessary one.
“We are concerned about the resurgence of the Covid virus and remain steadfast in our intention to continue to support the government in flattening the curve, but the third ban on the sale of alcohol goes well beyond what is reasonable and necessary to contain the spread of the virus,”SAB vice President- Zoleka Lisa
Although the concerns have been raised by SAB, it is reported that other liquor producers in South Africa seem to have distanced themselves from this court action leaving SAB to fight the battle on its own for now.
The National Liquor Traders’ Council on Tuesday said liquor traders were very concerned for their livelihoods and urged the government to do more to protect the 250,000 jobs in the sector by allowing off-premise sales to resume on January 16.