fbpx

SARS: Why are tens of thousands of Nigerians protesting?

Protests began after video circulated showing man apparently being beaten by police officers.

Tens of thousands of Nigerians have been taking to the streets for more than two weeks to protest against police brutality.

Young people mobilising through social media began staging demonstrations calling for the abolition of the federal Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS), which has long been accused of unlawful arrests, torture and extrajudicial killings.

The hashtag #EndSARS has been trending not just in Nigeria but across the world for several days.

What is SARS?

SARS was a special police unit set up in 1984 as Nigeria, Africa’s most populous country, battled rising levels of crime and kidnappings.

Initially, it was successful in reducing cases of violent crime but more recently the unit had been “turned into banditry”, according to Fulani Kwajafa, the man who set up SARS.

In June 2020, Amnesty International released a report that documented at least 82 cases of torture, ill-treatment and extrajudicial execution by SARS between January 2017 and May 2020.

What triggered the protests?

The protests were sparked by a viral video allegedly showing SARS officers killing a young man in the southern Delta state. Authorities denied the video was real.

The man who filmed the video was arrested, provoking even more anger.

How did the government respond?

With no signs of protesters backing down, President Muhammadu Buhari stepped in and disbanded the unit.

“The disbanding of SARS is only the first step in our commitment to extensive police reform in order to ensure that the primary duty of the police and other law enforcement agencies remains the protection of lives and livelihood of our people,” Buhari said.

Last week, Muhammed Adamu, inspector general of police, said all SARS officers would be redeployed to other police commands, formations and units.

That drew condemnation from protesters who pledged to keep up their campaign demanding accountability and justice for the victims of police brutality.

In recent days, the protests have turned violent with shots fired at demonstrators.

On Tuesday, Amnesty said there was “credible but disturbing evidence” that security forces in Lagos, the country’s commercial capital, had shot at protesters, killing them.

Have the protests spread across the world?

The #EndSARS protests have taken place in several cities across the world including, London, Berlin, New York and South Africa.

On Tuesday, former US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton called on President Buhari and the Nigerian army “to stop killing” protesters.

Share this posts using the below options

Bushiri arrested, again! Accused of fraud and money laundering

After being arrested for a similar case in 2019 Prophet Shepard Bushiri and his wife are arrested again.

Police in South Africa have re-arrested Malawian Prophet, Shepherd Bushiri, and his wife Prophetess Mary Bushiri allegedly for fraud and money laundering about K5 billion (R102 million).

Bushiri’s spokesperson Ephraim Nyondo has confirmed the arrest of the Bushiri and his wife.

The two have been arrested today by the Hawks, South Africa’s Directorate for Priority Crime Investigation (DPCI) which targets organized crime, economic crime, corruption, and other serious crimes.

Bushiri’s wife was arrested at home.

However, a news report by eNCA alleges that Bushiri was “apprehended after attempting to evade arrest”. The report says Major 1 as the Malawian born prophet is fondly called “subsequently handed himself in at Silverton police station in Pretoria”.

A statement on Bushiri’s Facebook Page revealed that Bushiri’s fresh arrest relates to a certain investment pertaining to a company called RISING ESTATE.

“He [Bushiri] believes in the justice system of the country and he will abide to all what the law compels until all this war is done.

“As the matter is still currently under criminal investigation, we have been advised not to discuss this matter any further,” reads part of statement.

Bushiri who leads the Enlightened Christian Gathering was also arrested in  South Africa together with his wife in 2019 for fraud and money laundering. The couple had been on bail and their case was recently adjourned to 2021.

Share this posts using the below options

DJ Zinhle sparkles as CEO of international wine brand

DJ Zinhle has not only acquired equity in an international sparkling wine, Boulevard Nectar Rosè, but she has also been appointed as the CEO.

The brand’s marketing manager, Rachel de Mardt, revealed to Sowetan yesterday afternoon that the deep pink-hued bubbly was about four years old and was crafted in the Languedoc-Roussillon region of southern France.

The brand has three offices in SA – Cape Town, Durban and Johannesburg. Although she won’t have an office, according to De Mardt, DJ Zinhle as CEO will be hands-on with the strategy, marketing and other operational duties of the beverage. She will have regular meetings with the board made up of three members.

Speaking to Sowetan yesterday, Zinhle said her head was buzzing with excitement.

“This means that I’m a part owner of Boulevard and that’s why I’m CEO because every decision affects me,” Zinhle said.

“From production to sales, if we are adding products I need to be part of it. It’s not just that I’m the face of this thing, but it means I’m going to work. I’m hired.”

The popular DJ, however, declined to share publicly the percentage of the shares she and her business partners held in the alcoholic brand, but said she was happy with it.

For now the focus is on Boulevard Nectar Rosè, but Zinhle confirmed that they plan to introduce more.

“This is the bottle that I joined into, but we plan on introducing more products. People just need to go buy this one for starters,” she said.

Share this posts using the below options

Pearl Modiadie gives a Glimpse of her PERSONAL life servIng us gorgeousness galore in her maternity shoots

Since breaking the news that she gave birth to her bundle of joy, TV and radio personality Pearl Modiadie is doing the most with her post-pregnancy snaps.

The new mommy is steaming up the socials with gorgeous never-before-seen pictures of her baby bump a month after giving birth.

With a caption that read, “The Power Of Creation”, the Metro FM midday drive DJ shared how “liberating” her pregnancy shoot was to her millions of fans.

View this post on Instagram

If Mother Earth was an actual person, she would look like this. So powerful and serene and beautiful – @melzinbala Thank you Mel for these words! They capture the true essence of this special time. Powerful to be able to decide , carry and bring life into this world. Serene… having done it quietly gave me the peace and tranquility I knew I needed. The less noise from the outside, the less anxious I was about the process. Beautiful – through embracing and truly loving all the physical changes it came with! And it came with a lot of changes… physical and psychological. • • • I got together a team of great people to bring this idea to life #TeamWorkMakesTheDreamWork Thank you to florist and set designer Mica @themightybloom for this set and floral arrangement. It came out exactly how I wanted it 🌾🌺🍂🍃🌿 • My dress was made by @sauvemaxia_pro ! Pat… the love, passion and dedication you put into your brand is commendable and your professionalism is unmatched! Can’t wait to make more magic with you! ✨ • I thoroughly enjoyed my first make-up experience with you @imakeyoubeeliv at @beezglam_studios . You’re great at what you do with a heart of gold to match! God bless your hands 💄 • You gifted me this crown @royaltcrowns & it was perfect for this queen moment. Thank you 👑 . • • Wardrobe Styling and hair – Me 😌 Photography & Editing – @katlegomokubyane Congrats on your world class studios!

A post shared by P E A R L 🔸 M O D I A D I E (@pearlmodiadie) on

Though she first claimed she would share snaps of her baby bump only when her child started walking, Pearl’s fans were super excited for the pleasant surprise.

In September, Pearl confirmed the news of her child’s birth in tweet alluding how she had longed for her child’s arrival.

“I’ve longed for you. To finally have you here feels incredibly surreal … a feeling only my soul can deeply comprehend. Welcome to the world my love … the purest of hearts. You’re perfect in every way. Your father and I love you dearly,” she wrote.

Share this posts using the below options

Lasizwe and Khanyi are devastated by the loss of their father Menzi Mcunu

Lasizwe and Khanyi Mbau heartbroken by their father’s death.

Siblings Khanyi Mbau and Lasizwe are mourning the loss of their father, Menzi Mcunu.  

They took to social media over the weekend to share how heartbroken they were over the loss of their dad. 

“My last alive parent, my dad has passed on. I am numb and confused! I am shattered!! first my mom, now my dad! I don’t know how to feel. Like how does one say, ‘My parents are deceased’, like I don’t have no parents no more. Like they dead,” Lasizwe captioned a pic of him and his dad in happier times. 

Khanyi also shared the news with her fans and followers across social media platforms.

“All I ever wanted was to be just like you! Rest in peace, dad,” said Khanyi on Instagram

Details of Menzi’s death have not been disclosed.

Shortly after Khanyi and Lasizwe shared the sad news, their TLs were filled with an outpouring of support from fans across Mzansi.

Share this posts using the below options

Minnie Dlamini gushes over her hubby: ‘I knew I wanted his babies’

“I knew Quinton was the one as he embodied all my dad’s best qualities,” Minnie explained.

Media personality Minnie Dlamini-Jones has gushed about her husband Quinton, telling her followers that she always knew that he would be the father of her children.

The star, who recently announced that she was pregnant with her first child, took to her social media last week to wish her hubby a happy anniversary, as the pair celebrated three years as a married couple.

Minnie made it known that she plans on giving Quinton more children when she explained that he knew from the get-go that he was the one she wanted children with.

“About this time three years ago I married the father of my future children. I knew Quinton was the one as he embodied all my dad’s best qualities. I had the biggest crush on him, I knew I wanted his babies, lol,” she said.

The pregnant beauty reflected on her Cape Town wedding day, back in September 2017.

“It was raining, like it is today in Cape Town, and as I walked down the aisle, a ray of sunshine lit up my wedding like the perfect summer’s day and a beautiful rainbow appeared and framed us at the altar. The symbol of God’s promise, even in the darkest times. He always shows up for me. I thank Him for my life, my husband, my family and our new miracle. Happy Anniversary, my love,” she wrote.

Share this posts using the below options

DJ Maphorisa and Prince Kaybee are back at it again with that Twitter war

Here we go again! Another round of shots in the Prince Kaybee vs Maphorisa twar.

We’ve BEEN talking about this ongoing clash of the egos between musicians Prince Kaybee and DJ Maphorisa, and now more fuel has been added to the fire that is the great twar of the entertainment industry.

You’d think they’d be sick of throwing shots at each other, but Prince Kaybee and DJ Maphorisa have been at it again on the TL.

After US musician and creator Kanye West took to Twitter to preach on owning your own music, DJ Maphorisa replied, posting a photo-shopped image of Prince Kaybee’s face on Maphorisa’s infamous all-colours-of-the-rainbow outfit.

“If no masters was a per … mxm let me tool,” replied DJ Maphorisa.

The Hosh hitmaker wasn’t afraid to hit back at the DJ, coming for the fashion faux-pas that had DJ Maphorisa making headlines.

“I don’t understand it though, is it a body tent?” tweeted Prince Kaybee.

We can’t keep track of how many rounds these two have been in the ring, and a few months ago, and we certainly can’t tell when they will put this war to rest.

Share this posts using the below options

Wine, wildlife and a mystery bae? Inside Mihlali’s weekend getaway

Inside Mihlali’s safari getaway. 

Influencer and TL queen Mihlali Ndamase took us with her on a safari getaway on Instagram recently, while also getting tongues wagging over her mystery bae.

Mihlali is all about living her best life, with weekend getaways and trips to international destinations.

The star took to Instagram recently to show us her weekend away at the Simbambili Game Lodge in the Kruger National Park. The star is seen sipping at wine o’clock surrounded by elephants and the plains of SA on the ‘gram.

On a night drive, the star was stopped by a pride of lions who clearly wanted a snap with the social media queen.

Mihlali has always tried to keep her private life away from the spotlight, so fans were curious when she thanked her mystery man for the weekend away in her Instagram story.

“Thank you for the wonderful weekend away, my love,” said the star.

Share this posts using the below options

Actress Zenande Mfenyana is enjoying being a new mom

‘I’m taking it one day a time with my body. One sit-up a day is better than no sit-ups at all’.

New mommy and actress Zenande Mfenyana took to her Instagram to make it clear she won’t be subscribing to the pop culture norm of new mothers being in a hurry to “snap back” into their pre-baby bodies.

“I’m taking it one day a time with my body.  I certainly will not put myself under unnecessary pressure for the snap back culture. One sit-up a day is better than no sit-ups at all,” Zenande said.

Recently actress Omuhle Gela shared similar sentiments, saying she planned to focus on enjoying being a new mom.

“I’ve been focused on fully healing and I refuse to succumb to the pressure of snapping back at the expense of my health. My focus now is my well-being, and my daughter’s,” the actress said.

Zenande has also been sharing snippets of her journey as a new mom on her Instagram stories. From sharing precious moments with her ballerina to working on sleep schedules, Zenande seems to be enjoying every moment of motherhood.  

Zenande was praised by her fans for keeping it real, and she doesn’t plan on ever stopping.

Share this posts using the below options

DJ Maphorisa announces Scorpion Kings Live concert plans at level 1 lockdown

DJ Maphorisa has celebrated the change in lockdown regulations restricting concerts and events, announcing that his highly-anticipated Scorpion Kings Live show is back on!

The star had to put the show, which was set to take place at the Sun Arena in Pretoria on April 11, on ice when President Cyril Ramaphosa announced a hard lockdown and restrictions on travel and group gatherings, amid the coronavirus outbreak in March.

Ramaphosa announced the changes in restrictions to group gatherings when he addressed the nation on Wednesday on the government’s response to the pandemic.

Under level one of the lockdown, entertainment venues will be allowed to hold gatherings at 50% capacity, subject to social distancing and other health protocols.

The move was applauded by several musicians who over the past few weeks had demanded that government open up the entertainment industry.

DJ Maphorisa wasted no time in letting fans know that his concert would now go full steam ahead.

Sports presenter Robert Marawa made it clear that he was ready to party and said that Phori would lead the country into level one.

Share this posts using the below options

We Do It Better